Monday, March 8, 2010

Sustainability Challenge

http://sustainability.publicradio.org/consumerconsequences/
I took the above sustainability challenge on the link below which took a lot of consideration and about 15 minutes to complete. I would have to say that the result is surprising. I thought for sure that I wouldn't exceed one planet and I was wrong. After taking the quiz, my result was a disappointing 2.3 earths. The quiz indicated how many planet earths it would take to sustain the lifestyle your currently living. Of course, the highest number was due to transportation and I scored a 5 in that area. I don't think that a lot of the world realizes how large America is and that mostly we're just trying to commute to work. If you don't live in a big city then you have to travel to the big cities to find work. You can't live in the big cities because it's too expensive. Therefore, you have to live in the rural or suburb areas and commute to work. With how much driving we have to do just to get anywhere of course we use a lot of oil. But I think it's not practical to take the bus. You get off of work, then pick up the kids, then go to the store....you'd spend most of your day waiting for a bus. I think compared to a lot of countries, Americans tend to work more. Then we have to multitask like going grocery shopping during lunch or running errands. We can't do those chores if we had taken the bus to work. So until someone comes up with and implements a better way to communte....things aren't going to change. People do what they can by recycling, saving water, using energy efficient lighting and appliances...but bottom line is that we need to fix the oil problem to have any kind of impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment